Friday, November 4, 2011

Beginning the month of gratitude

People---and by "people" I mean mostly guys---are celebrating this month as "no-shave November." Well, good for them. I, for one, will be making a more conscious effort this month to count my blessings (which includes razors). I love Thanksgiving, so I want to give it a proper build-up like Christmas gets. And I have a lot to be grateful for, so let us share and be grateful together!

Something that I have been extremely grateful for this week is something that is perfectly described as the "tender mercies of the Lord." David A. Bednar teaches that tender mercies "are real and they do not occur randomly or merely by coincidence. Often the Lord's timing of His tender mercies helps us to both discern and acknowledge them." (for the entire talk, click here)

There have been MANY times in my life where I have experienced these small moments, but the ones that have been called to my attention the most this last week, as silly as it sounds, are experiences with flat tires. I wrote about an experience a year ago about this, and I still have been blessed in this department. 

(side note: I have, in fact, been taught how to change a tire. But seriously, it's hard for me! It helps if you are strong and I am definitely not)

So when my sister's tire has a blow-out on the freeway going 75 mph, there were A LOT of tender mercies involved:

* It could have happened way out in the desert where she works. It didn't: rather it happened right by the exit to her home.

* It could have happened on a day when she was alone. It didn't. It happened on the one day during my trip that I went to work with her. This was more of a tender mercy on her part, because I think it's safe to say that she totally would have had a pregnant girl nervous breakdown if she had been alone. (Because she's actually pregnant, in case you haven't heard)

* And this last one is more of smart thinking on my brother in law's part, but they had roadside assistance to help, since as I said, changing a tire is hard for me (you know, because I'm a tiny little woman!---name that quote)

I don't think these things were consequences. It's just one tiny example of how the Lord is watching out for us, and making things a little easier for us through these small "tender mercies." And so first and foremost this month, I am grateful for this. And so grateful that He is not exclusive in whom He helps out. 

"The tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance." 1 Nephi 1:20
photo documentation of our "adventure"

1 comment:

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS