Thursday, December 9, 2010

Reminiscing

About once a month the Jehovah's witness missionaries do what we would call "street contacting" on the southwest corner of BYU campus (you know, right before the stairs that constitute as "BYU property"). They usually don't try to get any conversations going, because even they know that we are all hurrying to class and work and such, although sometimes I do see people (no-doubt former missionaries) engaging in conversations with them.

This morning when I saw them I was all "oh jeez, I really hope they don't try to talk to me. It's cold, and I have to get to work." They didn't. I just took their brochure thing, and wished them a nice day, because I appreciated it when a person was nice, even if they had no interest whatsoever to hear what I had to say. And then I thought, "I wonder if people thought that when they saw me standing on a corner, "that" being 'I really hope they don't try to talk to me!'" But even if they did think that, it wouldn't stop me, because I had something important to say, and even if they didn't give a crap, I at least had to try!

And that's probably how those j-dubs feel. But honestly, what they had to say didn't offer me more than I already knew. The cover of their brochure thing was "The Five Secrets of Contentment." Thank you, but I already knew all this. I know how to be content. And I am content. Actually, I'm more than content, I am down-right happy. If I were to design a brochure for what I believe and know, the cover would say "The Five Secrets of Happiness." And then I would get all missionary at the end of it and be like "but these aren't secrets! you can have it all! Isn't that great?!"

Anyway, after all that this morning, I just thought back to all those delightful discussions I would have with so many stubborn people who loved their Bible bashing. I remember sometimes being so frustrated I could have pulled my hair out. And now I think: "but it sure was fun!" And I remember sometimes feeling so discouraged that I just wanted to quit. But I was still happy. That never changed.

Good times. And btw, for more info about getting all that happiness that I just ranted about, go here! Or here!

And a merry Christmas to you. Loves, Annie

1 comment:

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS