Monday, January 28, 2013

Okinawa Sunflower Festival

Just another Saturday in January here in Okinawa...
Little Japanese heads peeking out from the sunflowers:
The creatures in the back are called Shisa dogs and are an Okinawan tradition. One supposedly wards off the evil spirits from the home while the one with the closed mouth keeps in the luck and good spirits. I'm on the lookout for my own set. 


Nora Ephron already deemed daisies as the friendliest flower, and who am I to argue with Nora Ephron? But I must submit that sunflowers are a close second. I love how they without fail face towards the warmth of the sun. In Romania you would see acres and acres of sunflowers all facing the sun, which can't help but make you happy. So while daisies are the friendliest, sunflowers are the happiest. Kind of interchangeable, but I love sunflowers so much that I think they deserve a superlative of their own.

Hope you have a great week!

4 comments:

  1. Jane Austen called daisies drab little flowers. ;) I'll bet she would agree with you on giving sunflowers a superlative. Your pictures look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the You've Got Mail reference.
    Miss you! Okinawa is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Annie! I'm so glad you found my blog, I'm sad I haven't gotten to meet you yet but your family is awesome! I love your blog, what beautiful pictures, what kind of camera do you use? I'm excited to stay in touch through blogging until I get to meet you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Mary Claire! All my pictures are taken with either our Nikon D5000, or my iphone. You'll have to share any tips with me :)

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS