Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Jimmer Jimmer Jimmer

Last night I finally made it to another BYU basketball game (the only other one I went to was the Utah State game, which i blogged about here. I have faithfully watched the games on tv, but excuse me for not wanting to stand in overnight lines to see the other games in person. Anyway, I just have to say that while football kind of disappointed me in my last year here at BYU, I will be forever proud to say that I was a student here in the year of the Jimmer. If you don't know who Jimmer is, get on the bandwagon! He is totally legit.

But dare I say that "the Jimmer show" was a little disappointing last night? Granted, he still got 32 points, but this game just wasn't as exciting as they usually are. And I blame it on my luck that when I finally go to a game in person is when it's a bit on the boring side. And while I'm not going to underestimate the talent of the Jimmer, I've gone on this kick lately that, "hey, there are other people on the team too, you know!" We've been talking about it in my magazine editing class that works in conjunction with BYU Magazine, and it's had this strange effect on me that I should be the voice for those forgotten players, since everyone is all "Jimmer Jimmer Jimmer!"

I guess I should be honest though in saying that I still adore Jimmer. And he has the spotlight for good reason. And if there are haters, they obviously haven't watched him play. And I'll be honest that when my friend Sarah asked if I would go out with Jimmer if he asked me, I said yes (this was me thinking that my fiance wouldn't care: turns out he does. whaah?).

Sarah was also telling me that one of her friends was chilling in the Richards Building (the athletic building where I also happen to work) being a loud mouth about how if he saw Jimmer in person he would say, "hey Jimmer, why didn't you score 50 points in the game against Utah?!" And then wouldn't you know it, Jimmer was right behind him (naturally he chickened out and didn't actually ask him).

That's when the thoughts start to enter my head, "hey! why don't I ever get to see Jimmer? I work in the RB too! I feel like this should be my right. OH WAIT. It's because I work in the wing of the building where no one ever wants to venture because it's full of annoying dancers!!!!" The only time I could possibly see Jimmer, or any of the other basketball players for that matter, would be if they somehow get lost in my wing of the building and come to me saying, "help and get me out of here!" Unless they're looking for a place where they can go where no one will recognize them--then my wing of the building is the perfect place.

And in closing, I just have one more thing to say that naturally is about Jimmer. He's all I think about these days, I guess! (Oh yeah, and my forthcoming marriage, of course) But anyway, this goes back to another rant I made a few months ago about so-called friends of mine saying things on facebook about BYU athletics. Yesterday, one of these "friends" posted how the Utah Jazz would be dumb to draft Jimmer because he is overrated and not athletic. Excuse me? Are you blind? (Once again, this is coming from a person who never attended BYU, just some lame school up north that shall not be named, but it's not the University of Utah) So, my question is, should I de-friend this person like I did the others who bashed BYU on facebook as well? One word from you, and I'll do it!

Anyway, that's about it on the Jimmer thoughts today. Go BYU!

4 comments:

  1. Only ignorant people have negative things to say about Jimmer. I like that he emphasizes the team in all his interviews. Are you watching the game tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahaha! You and Leslie are just alike. She put on facebook "If I had the chance to make out with Jimmer, I would." Then Adam saw her comment and was all "Hey now!" Tell Victor it's okay, I don't think he would go after anyone with a ring on their finger. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Defriend" them for sure. You are an amazing writer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Today I changed me mind. Jimmer is hot. I don't know what I was thinking.

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS