Sunday, August 25, 2013

Little Pick-Me-Ups and Tender Mercies

I got in a car accident yesterday.

Thankfully my anxiety levels about dealing with it have stayed pretty low because the accident was not my fault, but it still sucks. My poor pink car.

But as I've reflected on the events of that long hot afternoon of dealing with the aftermath, I realize how much I have to be grateful for. Small little tender mercies that make me feel blessed. Thankful that even though my teeny Japanese car was hit with full impact, I walked away with just some whiplash and a couple of bruises. Thankful that the other Japanese family that got hit didn't get hurt either. Thankful for bilingual passerbys who helped translate for the police before the military police arrived with their translator. Thankful for free towing in my insurance coverage.

But I'm especially thankful for the fact that I was able to miraculously contact my husband and that he was able to come and be with me (he's been on a rigid 80+ hours work schedule away from his actual work place). Such a comfort.

And I feel so blessed that as I see where I got hit and where I ended up, that it wasn't a lot worse and that there weren't more cars involved. My car managed to spin 180 degrees up the sidewalk and didn't hit the trees, or the poles, or any other cars. Tender mercy.
As I sat waiting for my tow truck after the police and everyone had left, I was waiting with the cute Japanese family who also got hit. We both were using our translator apps to try to communicate which was pretty comical. I saw the little kids fanning themselves so I said one of the few Japanese phrases I know: it's hot!

I think they appreciated my tiny effort because they went over to the vending machine an brought me a bottle of water. That little act of kindness made my day. I'm always blown away by the sweet kindness of the Japanese. It really did lift my spirits.

So many small little things. But they all combine to help remind me that God knows who I am and that He's watching out for me.

"I testify that the tender mercies of the Lord are real and that they do not occur randomly or merely by coincidence. [...] I have come to better understand that the Lord’s tender mercies are the very personal and individualized blessings, strength, protection, assurances, guidance, loving-kindnesses, consolation, support, and spiritual gifts which we receive from and because of and through the Lord Jesus Christ."
--David A. Bednar from this beautiful talk 

Man, I love the way he puts it. So amazing and so true.

Have a great day! And send happy thoughts my way that my dear Rosie isn't totaled. I find out tomorrow. Thank you, thank you. 

6 comments:

  1. Oh, poor Rosie. And poor you. Japanese people really are the best. Is it weird that reading about you getting in a car accident makes me really homesick to come back to Okinawa? How I hope and pray I get a job there next year. I'm so glad you're okay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So scary! I can't imagine being in a car wreck in a foreign land. Glad you are okay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you are okay! When I lived in Okinawa I always found the locals to be so kind and polite. It must have been terrifying, especially having an accident in a foreign country with the language barrier. I hope fixing your car or replacing it is relatively painless too.
    I must say I agree with MaryAnn, but not just reading about your accident, your whole blog makes me homesick for Okinawa. I miss it so very much and hope someday to return.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are okay! How scary to be in an accident like that. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you are safe and very grateful Victor could be there with you. I still am thankful for your support when my tire blew out. I wish I could be there to help you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh Annie! I'm so glad that you're okay and that nothing major happened to you.

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS