Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Hong Kong Highlights

We had a great time in Hong Kong.
Foggy, but fun.
Out of all the temples in Hong Kong, this is my favorite ;) 
 
Afternoon tea at the Peninsula. I loved every minute.

Checking out my old stomping grounds at the Chungking Mansions ha ha. Remember this post?
 Night markets! I forgot how fun it is to barter. 
 Going out to the Big Buddha at a monastery in the mountains.


 And ending the trip at the Magic Kingdom: Hong Kong edition.

 ^^Sherry came along on the trip with us^^
 So yeah, we had a good time.
But.....
China is not Japan.

Let's just say that Japanese culture is much easier to live with. In Japan people wear surgical masks when they're sick in consideration to others. In China they wear them to not get sick from the people who cough open mouthed or hawk loogies in front of you. In Japan if there's a line they wait patiently. In China if there's an open space they think it's an invitation to cut in front of everybody and that's just the way it is. In Japan, cleanliness (esp in bathrooms) is at the top of the priority list. And in China? Wellll, not so much.

Chinese people are still very kind people and I don't want to sound mean toward them. But all those things really get on your nerves after a while. Like a lot. So we had a great time in China this weekend, but we were sooo happy to come back to the people here in Okinawa!

Despite the annoying quirks, Hong Kong is such a sweet city. And the geography of it is beautiful. I just love how it surrounds the beautiful harbor. It's a city that everyone should visit. It has been seven years since I was last in Hong Kong. I can't believe how fast the time goes! I'm glad I could go back, this time with my hubby. And we didn't have stay in the ghetto Chungking Mansions. How far I've come ha ha.

Hope you enjoyed the pictures!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had a great trip in Hong Kong! I've never had much experience with Japanese culture, so I thought the people in Hong Kong were very polite, mostly compared to Americans in big cities. I guess it is all what you are comparing it to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like Japan is spoiling you. Hong Kong looks like fun (especially the Disneyland part!)

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS