Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Calla Lily Valley

When visiting this beautiful place for the fist time at the north end of Big Sur, a mere 20 minutes from my house, I felt like I needed to name it myself--something in the nature of Anne of Green Gables. You know, something dramatic sounding, because this place really was just so serene and something special. So I came up with Valley of Ethereal Delights. Maybe Anne would be proud. But I guess Calla Lily Valley is pretty dreamy sounding already. 

I don't know about you, but one of my favorite tools for finding cool places is pinterest. That's how I have found some of my favorite places around the world. This little spot was no exception. I think it popped up as one of their suggested pins for me, so thank you, pinterest. It's right off the main road, but since it's down in a ravine, you may not see it and unless you know it's there, you won't just stumble upon it by chance. So it's a fun little adventure to get down there. 

First we did it as a fun little hike on MLK Day.





I wanted to see the lilies again before they aren't in bloom anymore, so I went a couple days ago as my weekly "alone time" that I am beginning to institute in my life thanks to the suggestions of my friend Whitney and Anne Morrow Lindbergh. I went at sunset time, and I was the only one around, so it really was quality alone time to just think. (And there's no phone service as soon as you enter Big Sur, so it was nice to not have any distractions either)

BTW some of my other "alone time" activities I have done: two weeks ago I took a calligraphy class and LOVED it. And right after Dom was born, I went and saw the movie "Brooklyn" (Dom came with me but he slept the whole time). I loved this movie--if you haven't seen it you must! If you have any other alone time ideas besides Target/grocery shopping, let me know ;)

So if you are in NorCal this time of year, go see the gorgeous Calla Lilies and then just see the rest of Big Sur, and Monterey and Carmel while you're at it!

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I think I need to institute some alone time too. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 4th to last picture kinda looks like a less green version of Guatemala. Just sayin.
    I wish you lived closer so I could accompany you to these spots and your calligraphy classes.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. these pictures are so beautiful! I want to go! I like your cardigan too. Miss my adventure buddy.

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS