Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Motherhood Life Lately: So Happy We Live in SoCal

After living in Monterey, we knew we would end up in one of two places: either Southern California, or Northern Virginia. And when we would tell people, usually those who have never actually lived in the DC area would say "oh that would be so cool to live out there!" And I would be like "have you ever lived there?" ha. The only person that truly understood was Victor's boss in Okinawa who we visited in Germany. He said, "I hate Southern California, but for your stage of life with young kids, that's where you guys would want to be."

EXACTLY. Took the words right out of my mouth. I've lived in Northern Virginia, and the thought of living that traffic filled, cold winter, freaking humid summer with two little boys wasn't my ideal. I'm a big believer in the philosophy "bloom where you are planted" and I would have gone and tried to make the best of it, but I know now in my heart this is where we were supposed to be. 

To me, San Diego brings out the best in my mothering. When we are feeling cooped up, we can hop in the car down to the beach and that usually always cures our grumpiness. Year round I can do that, or take them to parks, botanic gardens (our favorite!) or if I'm feeling up for it, a drive down to Balboa Park or the Children's Museum downtown. And if I'm not feeling up for it? Then just go out in the backyard kids, and play out there all afternoon. We have a large fenced-in yard with a huge hill the boys love to climb and explore, and it is BLISS. 

Just yesterday I was on the phone with a friend who was asking me how we are liking it down here, and she asked whether the boys know how good they have it. And you know what? I think they do! Because when we were in Utah for Christmas and J saw that Cherry Hill was closed he asked why and even now he will ask, "why is it cold in Utah?" We came home from Utah in January and the next day my kids were outside playing barefoot in the backyard in their pajamas and after having to get so bundled to go outside, I think even they knew how nice it was to be back ha!

I love that we can have friends call last minute and say "we are coming into town tomorrow, want to go to Disneyland?" And we can totally swing it because it's one hour away. 

When I was talking to Victor about something I had done with the boys or was planning to do (can't remember) I said "this is exactly the reason I wanted to move down here. The boys are so happy here." And I am pretty happy too. I'm really coming to love this place. And I love that my kids are at an age where they can truly enjoy it too. 

Even visiting Victor when he has overnight duty is something to look forward to because his office overlooks the beach and we like to walk over there--it's a beautiful secluded beach with not a soul on it which is rare for Southern California. See photos below:
^^Gotta keep it real so this whole post isn't just saying how perfect everything is!^^

And some more pictures of my boys living their best lives scooting around the harbor and getting ice cream after:
Life isn't perfect and I still have my moments of losing my patience on the daily, but my boys are in a sweet spot right now where they are each other's friends, and me and Victor are their world. They love getting out and exploring, so it makes it easy to want to get out and explore new places with them. I still relish the freedom that we have in this stage of life. 

1 comment:

  1. Yep. Sounds dreamy. I’m glad you guys ended up there too and lucked out finding a great house for your family.

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS