Sunday, March 20, 2011

Why you always knock on wood

As we were taking pictures like this and checking out the sweet Salt Lake City Library (I always am impressed when I'm in there--such an impressive building), the fiance asked "has anyone ever tried to commit suicide in this place?" And I was all, heck if I know...but I certainly hope not!

Welp, actually there have been. And there was one less than 24 hours after Victor muttered those fateful words. I can't imagine how disturbing it would be to have to see that.

I have to say though that there is something I read in the news reports about this whole thing that kind of bugs me. Now that this has happened, library officials are saying that they may look into making design changes to "make it more safe." Last time I checked, that building is plenty safe. It just has an open floor plan, which plenty of other public buildings have. And how do you "suicide proof" a building anyway? Suicide is intentional, and people will find a way to do it, regardless of the building design. It's sad, but true.

Sorry for the morbid topic. That's just what I've been pondering about today. Hope you had a swell Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS